[R] pwr.prop.test and continuity correction

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 16 22:12:18 CET 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> power.prop.test (sic) is relying heavily on asymptotic normality, as do similar
> formulas. It doesn't use continuity correction, but if you're working with such
> small group sizes, I suspect that the correction term is the least of your
> worries and that direct simulation would be better.

In fact, for tests in 2x2 tables, it is fairly straightforward and fast to compute the entire sampling distribution explicitly, over a grid of parameter values.

This gives the exact power (under alternatives) and the exact Type I error (under null). You can also compare different tests and see how much the continuity correction moves the actual Type I error rate away from the nominal rate.

        -thomas