[R] [Rd] gregexpr - match overlap mishandled (PR#13391)

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Sat Dec 13 18:03:17 CET 2008

Wacek,

 I am curious as to why Brian and I (and possibly other responders) are held to a higher standard than the original poster.

My first question was a real question.  There are 2 main ways to do regular expression matching (possibly others as well), you describe one method with the pointer moving through the string to be matched, the other way moves the pointer through the pattern looking for all possible matches in the string that match so far (one method is DFA the other NFA, but I don't remember which is which and my copy of Friedl is at work and I'm not).  Perl and PCRE use the method that you describe, but the other method may be more efficient for finding all overlapping matches in some cases, but as far as I know (and there are plenty of things I don't know, including all the changes/new programs since I last read about this) the only programs that use the other type of matching don't return the actual matches, just a yes/no on at least one match.  So if the original poster has formed his opinion based on another program that uses that type of matching, I would be interested to know about it.  It would teach me something and also make it easier for all of us to better help the original poster in the future if we understand where he is coming from.

I did consider giving more of an explanation, but I assumed that the original poster was intelligent enough to learn the details himself given a few pointers and also figured that while learning about his specific problem, he may learn something else as well.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org