[R] X11 not being detected whilst installing "rgl" package

ekwaters ekwaters at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Dec 12 01:23:23 CET 2008

Any ideas? I certainly have X11, I have tried copying it into other
directories. At present it is in /etc/X11.

This is my error message.

/home/user> R CMD INSTALL -l [/usr/local/R/site-library]
rgl_0.81.orig.tar.gz
* Installing *source* package 'rgl' ...
checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc -std=gnu99
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking for libpng-config... yes
configure: using libpng-config
configure: using libpng dynamic linkage
checking for X... no
configure: error: X11 not found but required, configure aborted.
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgl'