[R] very long integers

Aaron Robotham smashbuns at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 17:57:19 CET 2008

A quick question really:

I have a database with extremely long integer IDs (eg
588848900971299297), which is too big for R to cope with internally
(it appears to store as a double), and when I do any frequency tables
erroneous results appear. Does anyone know of a package that extends
internal storage up to LONG, or is the only solution to read it in as
a character from the original data?

In case anyone is curious, I didn't create the IDs, and in some form I
must conserve all of the ID information for later use.

Thanks,

Aaron