[R] ref card for data manipulation?

baptiste auguie ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Dec 11 14:49:14 CET 2008

Hi,

Good idea, what do you say we try and write a page on this in the R
wiki?

I started the topic:
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=guides:overview-data-manip

Once the content is there, it wouldn't be much of an effort to create
a reference-card format if required.

Best wishes,

baptiste

On 11 Dec 2008, at 12:38, Vitalie Spinu wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:29:43 +0100, Peter Dalgaard <P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
> > wrote:
>

>> You (as many before you) have overlooked the ave() function, which
>> can
>> replace the ordering as well the do.call(c,tapply(....))
>>

> Majority of questions on this list concern data manipulation. Many
> are repetitive. "Overlooking" like that will always happen unless
> some comprehensive data manipulation documentation is made.
> I think many people would benefit if  a specialized data.manip
> ref.card were conceived.
>
> Tom Short's card is an excellent one but it does not cover high
> level packages like plyr, reshape, DoBy, and a few base data.manip
> functions are not there as well.
>
> Vitalie.

Baptiste Auguié

School of Physics