[R] Better way to find distances between points in a set?

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 10 20:49:26 CET 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, cgw at witthoft.com wrote:

>   Hah!
>   I  DID do my homework first. From now on I guess I'll have to post the
>   complete list of trails I followed before deciding
>   I was lost. That appears to be the only way to stave off the Harpies.
>   So, before I posted, and before I even wrote my toy script, I found and read
>   thru  the  help file for dist(). If in fact dist() does what I want, I
>   couldn't see that from either the description or the example. Or from an
>   example I tried myself.
>   Remember:  my Euclidean distance requires first finding the difference
>   between the orthogonal components of the two points, i.e.
>   (x1-x2) and (y1-y2) and then calculating the Pythagorean of those values.
>   Just getting distances between the actual elements of my matrix (x and y
>   components) isn't the same. And, yes, I tried 'euclidean' .
>   So I would be greatful indeed if someone could confirm that, for a matrix as
>   I described, where each row contains the coordinates of a single point, that
>   dist() can be convinced to return the geometric euclidean distances.
>   Or that it can't.

Carl,

Since you did your homework, you saw this:

From the dist man page:

 	dist(x, method = "euclidean", diag = FALSE, upper = FALSE, p = 2)
[...]
 	euclidean:
 		Usual square distance between the two vectors (2 norm).
---

If you did not appreciate that these 'two vectors' are two rows of
your matrix, this would have shown you that they are:

 	all.equal( as.vector(alldist), as.vector(alldist3) )

(the 'as.vector' calls strip off attributes like dimnames, so the focus is
solely on the distances )

Chuck