[R] expected variable name error pos 98349 WInBUGS in R

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Dec 9 10:19:21 CET 2008

Hard to help without seeing the actual files.
Anyway, this is a BUGS question rather than  an R question, because the
error comes from the BUGS interpreter. Hence wrong mailing list.

Best wishes,
Uwe Ligges

Anamika Chaudhuri wrote:
>> I am using a random intercept model with SITEID as random and NAUSEA as
>> outcome.
>>
>> I tried using a dataset without missing values and changed my model
>> statement accordingly but still get the same error. Follwoing in an excerpt.
>>> anal.data <- read.table("nausea.txt", header=T, sep="\t")
>>> list(names(anal.data))
>> [[1]]
>> [1] "SITEID" "NAUSEA"
>>> #anal.data <- read.csv("simuldat.csv", header=T)
>>> attach(anal.data)
>>         The following object(s) are masked from anal.data ( position 3 ) :
>>          NAUSEA SITEID
>>
>>         The following object(s) are masked from anal.data ( position 4 ) :
>>          NAUSEA SITEID
>>> data.bugs <-
>> list("NAUSEA"=NAUSEA,"SITEID"=SITEID,"n.samples"=n.samples,"n.sites"=n.sites,"n.params"=n.params)
>>> bugsData(data.bugs, fileName = "nauseadata.txt")
>>> inits.bugs <- list("alpha"=rep(0,n.sites), "tau"=1)
>>> bugsInits(list(inits.bugs), fileName = "nauseainit.txt")