[R] Save image as metafile

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 22:02:56 CET 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2008, at 7:51 AM, mentor_ wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> how can I save an image as a metafile?
>> I know within windows you can do a right click and then 'save image as
>> metafile'
>> but I use Mac OS X...
>
> Which means this question would be better posed on the Mac OS list.
>
>> I know as well that mac users have a right click as
>> well, but
>> it does not work.
>
> Are you using the R.app? If so, then you need to focus on the quartz device
> window (by clicking on it or choosing it from the Window" pulldown menu)  and
> choose Save as.. from the File menu. It will not offer to save it as a
> windows metafile, but rather does so as a pdf. In Preview you can open the
> pdf and then save as other formats, although wmf is not one of the options.
> If you prefer a tiff file, you could use Grab. Even LemkeSoft's
> GraphicConverter does not offer a WMF option, so it's probably a proprietary
> format that M$ is not documenting well or trying to restrict in some manner.

It is basically a set of calls to the (proprietary) Windows GDI.  There
seems to be no viable implementation on any other platform (except as a
bitmap, but then there are lots of portable bitmap formats supported by R)

> To find out what devices are available, try:
>
>> capabilities()
>   jpeg      png     tiff    tcltk      X11     aqua http/ftp  sockets
> libxml     fifo   cledit    iconv      NLS
>   TRUE     TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
> TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
> profmem    cairo
>  FALSE     TRUE
>
> So on my machine, a png device can get graphics output. That should provide
> all of the functionality of a wmf format and be much more cross-platform.

Not so: wmf is a primarily a vector format: however PDF is a good
cross-platform substitute.