[R] How to get Greenhouse-Geisser epsilons from anova?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Dec 6 00:09:32 CET 2008

Skotara wrote:
> Dear Mr. Daalgard.
>
> thank you very much for your reply, it helped me to progress a bit.
>
> The following works fine:
> dd <- expand.grid(C = 1:7, B= c("r", "l"), A= c("c", "f"))
> myma <- as.matrix(myma) #myma is a 12 by 28 list
> mlmfit <- lm(myma~1)
> mlmfit0 <- update(mlmfit, ~0)
> anova(mlmfit, mlmfit0, X= ~C+B, M = ~A+C+B, idata = dd,
> test="Spherical"), which tests the main effect of A.
> anova(mlmfit, mlmfit0, X= ~A+C,  M = ~A+C+B, idata = dd,
> test="Spherical"), which tests the main effect of B.
>

> However, I can not figure out how this works for the other effects.
> If I try:
> anova(mlmfit, mlmfit0, X= ~A+B,  M = ~A+C+B, idata = dd,  test="Spherical")
>
> I get:
> Fehler in function (object, ..., test = c("Pillai", "Wilks",
> "Hotelling-Lawley",  :
>        residuals have rank 1 < 4

dd$C is not a factor with that construction. It works for me after

dd$C <- factor(dd$C)

(The other message is nasty, though. It's slightly different in R-patched:

 > anova(mlmfit, mlmfit0, X= ~A+B, M = ~A+C+B, idata = dd,
test="Spherical")
Error in solve.default(Psi, B) :
   system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number =
2.17955e-34

but it shouldn't happen...
Looks like it is a failure of the internal Thin.row function. Ick!
)

> I also don't know how I can calculate the various interactions..
> My read is I should change the second argument mlmfit0, too, but I can't
> figure out how...

The "within" interactions should be straightforward, e.g.

M=~A*B*C
X=~A*B*C-A:B:C

etc.

The within/between interactions are otained from the similar tests of
the between factor(s)

e.g.

mlmfitD <- lm(myma~D)

and then