[R] Running R Script on a Sequence of Files

Chris Poliquin poliquin at sas.upenn.edu
Fri Dec 5 19:01:43 CET 2008

Hi,

I have about 900 files that I need to run the same R script on.  I
looked over the R Data Import/Export Manual and  couldn't come up with
a way to read in a sequence of files.

The files all have unique names and are in the same directory.  What I
want to do is:
1) Create a list of the file names in the directory (this is really
what I need help with)
2) For each item in the list...
	a) open the file with read.table
	b) perform some analysis
	c) append some results to an array or save them to another file
3) Next File

My initial instinct is to use Python to rename all the files with
numbers 1:900 and then read them all, but the file names contain some
information that I would like to keep intact and having to keep a
separate database of original names and numbers seems inefficient.  Is
there a way to have R read all the files in a directory one at a time?

- Chris