[R] Null values In R.

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Wed Dec 3 05:54:07 CET 2008

Hi, for your cor() command you will want to specify the "use" argument as
either "complete.obs" or as "pairwise.complete.obs". The difference between
the two is that the former only uses those observations for which ALL
information in "a" is available, whereas the latter uses information that is
available for all pairwise comparisons between variables in "a". For the
example below, use="c" would exclude observations 6 and 5, whereas use="p"
would exclude observations 6 and 5 for correlations between x and y, and x
and z, but it would only exclude observation 5 for the correlation between y
and z

x=c(1,2,3,4,5,NA)
y=c(2,3,3.5,4.75,NA,7)
z=c(5,8,7,6,NA,11)