[R] Problem with the Rmpi package

Blanchette, Marco MAB at stowers-institute.org
Tue Dec 2 16:37:23 CET 2008

Dear all,

I just started to use the snow package to send multiple jobs on our cluster using MPI and the Rpmi package as the communication method.

However, the Rmpi package have been behaving strangely. When I try to detach the Rmpi package I get the following error message:

> library(Rmpi)
> detach()
Error in dyn.unload(file.path(libpath, "libs", paste("Rmpi", .Platform$dynlib.ext,  :
  dynamic/shared library '/Users/mab/Library/R/2.8/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so' was not loaded

Following that error, the snow package seems to be unable to initiate a new cluster, whatever method is used. The fix is to kill  and restart my R session.

Any suggestion as to what is the problem?

--
Marco Blanchette, Ph.D.
Assistant Investigator

Kansas City, MO 64110