[R] Update R, keep packages

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Dec 1 17:59:05 CET 2008

Will wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when updating R I continuously face the problem that I have to reinstall
> packages or copy them into the new R library path.
>
> Is there a smart way of configuring R (.Rprofile) so the packages
> installed under older R versions (different lib paths) are
> included/found by newer R versions (e.g. R site archive).
> What problems due to version conflicts/out-of-date packages can arise?

See the manual R Installation and Administration on how to use library
trees and how to update all packages for the recent version of R. If you
do not recompile / update for a new major release of R, some packages
(and packages that depend on them) may not work anymore (due to API
changes, changes in S4 classes and so on).

Uwe Ligges