[R] Regex: workaround for variable length negative lookbehind

joris meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:22:51 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Stefan Evert <stefan.evert at uos.de> wrote:

> Still, I think it's better to write a few lines of R code than to abuse
> regular expressions to do something they were never intended to do.  How do
> other people on this list feel about that issue?

Honestly, I believe there are cases you shouldn't, i.e. when other
people have to read your program. But otherwise I do like the power of
perl's regular expressions. They are really a help if you have to work
with string data (e.g. with DNA sequences and the likes) and do
statistics on them.

The only reason to avoid them is if they would be significantly slower
than the R code. I have not tried it out, so I have no clue about
that.

Kind regards
Joris