[R] ESS "highlighting" turned off .. {Re: Tidying up code ...}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 29 16:58:16 CEST 2008

    PD> Martin Maechler wrote:
    >> I strongly agree with your last paragraph,
    >> and I have always thought that we should recommend using
    >> R-aware editors rather than  dump() nowadays ...
    >> but then I thought that I've been biased at all times, being a
    >> co-developer of ESS, authoring its M-x ess-fix-miscellaneous
    >> (and more), and also the author of a (non public) Emacs lisp
    >> file called 'R-stylepolice.el' as early as in 1999.....

    PD> BTW: Has there been any progress on turning the highlighting _off_ in
    PD> iESS and transcript mode? The highlighted "for" and "in" make me crazy...

we are really getting off-topic...
and so I am -- as an exception -- cross-posting to ESS-help
but
    - I don't remember any feature-request of that kind,
      but that may well just expose my fading long-time memory

    - you can always use   M-x font-lock-mode
      which toggles font-locking ("highlighting").

    - What I would want is font-locking in  iess- and transcript-mode,
      just not to highlight 'for' and 'in' (and a few more), but
      I'd like to keep the string and other font-locking.
      IIRC, that is simple in principle, but needs a bit of
      tedious work in practice.