[R] Upgrading R means I lose my packages

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 28 17:07:24 CEST 2008

Speaking for myself, I think it's easier to just create a script and
put it somewhere easy to remember.

For example

   my.pkgs <- c('pkg1', 'pkg2')  ## and so on for my preferred packages
   install.packages(my.pkgs, dependencies=TRUE)

Then after each upgrade just source the script.
You will need to create a second list if you use any packages for
which binaries are not available.

Creating the list the first time might be inconvenient .... but
thereafter it's easy.

Additional benefits include
    you can use the script when you get a new machine
    you can use the script when a friend or colleague decides to try
R, and you want them to have the same packages
    you can use the script if you maintain R on more than one platform, as I do

A downside would be if you have a huge number of packages and it
takes a long time to update them all. But even then, since most
packages are available as binaries, it should be reasonable.
Installing a huge number from source will take a long time.

This method is also a little tricky if you have locally written packages.

-Don