[R] Fw: How to learn R language?

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 27 16:16:25 CEST 2008

I'm not a statistician so my approach may not make sense for you but I'd suggests having a look at Bob Muenchen's R for SAS and SPSS users in  pdf form (very useful) or his new book with the same title (which I have not seen yet) for a start. http://rforsasandspssusers.com/

If you want some very, very basic things I'd suggest having a look at the tutorial at http://www.math.ilstu.edu/dhkim/Rstuff/Rtutor.html

After that there are any number of useful references and on-line materials available through the R site.  Have a look at Books and Other on the left hand side of the page.

If you can get them, I'd suggest having a look at Peter Dalgaard's  Introductory Statistics with R or John Verzani's Simple R.  The stats may be simple for you but the organized treatment of how to use these stats in R is very valuable.

The Introduction to R is very good but, at the risk of being accused of heresy, I'd suggest that it is much better if you read it after you get a feeling for the language. It also should be downloaded and read in the PDF format.

Read the FAQ carefully, especially Section 7.  Section 7 highlights a lot of little things that can confuse a new user and reading it can save you hours of pounding your head against the wall.