[R] Problem with Integrate for NEF-HS distribution

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue Aug 26 17:59:44 CEST 2008

Hi,

Simply re-write your integrand as follows:

integrand <- function(X) {0.5 * cos(theta) * 2  / (exp(-pi*X/2 - X*theta) +
exp(pi*X/2 - X*theta)) }

Now the problem goes away.

> theta <- -1
> integrate(integrand, -Inf, 1)
0.9842315 with absolute error < 1.2e-05

This would work for all theta such that abs(theta) < -pi/2.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu