[R] Two envelopes problem

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 16:30:44 CEST 2008

To pick up on what Mark has said: it strikes me that this is related to the
simplex, where the bounded nature of the vector space means that normal
arithmetical operations (i.e. Euclidean) don't work---that is, they can be
used, but the results are wrong. Covariances and correlations for instance,
are wrong, something that Pearson noted more than a century ago.

Taking logs of ratios of numbers (say a number divdided by geometric mean of
the other numbers, as in Aitchison's set of transformations) in this space
transfers everything to Euclidean space, so "squaring" the problem. This is
why taking logs fixes things ??

Mark.