[R] options("contrasts")

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Aug 26 12:30:30 CEST 2008

Code:
> options("contrasts")
$contrasts
           factor           ordered
"contr.treatment"      "contr.poly"

I want to change the first entry ONLY, without retyping "contr.poly". How do
I do it? I have tried various possibilities and cannot get anything to work.
I found out that the response to options("contrasts") has class "list", but
that doesn't help me, although I think it ought to help.

Second question (metaquestion). How should I go about finding out the answer
to a question like "How does one change a single item in a list?"

My answer to the meta-meta-question is to post to this list. I hope that at
least that part is correct.

Thanks for any help.
David Epstein