[R] R for Windows GUI closes when I try to read.spss

Roderick Harrison RHarrison at jointcenter.org
Mon Aug 25 23:44:44 CEST 2008

** High Priority **

Cavan - the message I sent to r-help

The packages I load are foreign and SPSSDDI and survey - survey won't
be used, however, until we're actually trying to calculate the
confidence intervals in R

Thanks for taking time out to help with this

I have been trying to read an SPSS file into R using

read.spss ("C:/Documents and Settings/Roderick Harrison/My
Documents/RWORK/ihisdat.sav", use.value.labels = TRUE, to.data.frame =
FALSE,  max.value.labels = 500, trim.factor.names = FALSE, trim_values =
TRUE, reencode = NA, use.missings = to.data.frame)

Each time (at least 5 or 6 by now) I get the following Microsoft error
message and the R-Console crashes.

R for Windows GUI front-end has encountered a problem and needs to
close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I would greatly appreciate help with this as we need to use R to
estimate confidence intervals for NHIS data, and our deliverable is due
this week.

Thanks in advance.