[R] Two envelopes problem

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Aug 25 22:22:40 CEST 2008

You are simulating the answer to a different question.

Once you know that one envelope contains 10, then you know conditional on that information that either x=10 and the other envelope holds 20, or 2*x=10 and the other envelope holds 5.  With no additional information and assuming random choice we can say that there is a 50% chance of each of those.  A simple simulation (or the math) shows:

> tmp <- sample( c(5,20), 100000, replace=TRUE )
> mean(tmp)
[1] 12.5123

Which is pretty close to the math answer of 12.5.

If you have additional information (you believe it unlikely that there would be 20 in one of the envelopes, the envelope you opened has 15 in it and the other envelope can't have 7.5 (because you know there are no coins and there is no such thing as a .5 bill in the local currency), etc.) then that will change the probabilities, but the puzzle says you have no additional information.

Your friend is correct in that switching is the better strategy.

Another similar puzzle that a lot of people get confused over is:

"I have 2 children, one of them is a girl, what is the probability that the other is also a girl?"

Or even the classic Monty Hall problem (which has many answers depending on the motivation of Monty).

Hope this helps,

(p.s., the above children puzzle is how I heard the puzzle, I actually have 4 children (but the 1st 2 are girls, so it was accurate for me for a while).

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org