[R] nlme gls front end crash

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sat Aug 23 01:37:06 CEST 2008

Hi, when I try to run GLS, R crashes. I have seen on the mailing list that
somebody has encountered the problem before (
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/01/10915.html ), but there seemed
to be no solution / the thread appears incomplete. The program runs gls1
(without correlation structure; code below) and crashes when I run gls2
(with correlation structure; code further below). Windows then shows a
standard crash window (the one where Windows asks to send an error report to
Microsoft) saying something like: "R GUI has encountered a problem and has
to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience..."

The crash seems to depend on the specific correlation structure. It does not
crash with all correlation structures. My data has about 2000 data rows. Is
this a memory problem?

Thanks for any advice.
Daniel

The R code I am running is the following

    newdata.new=groupedData(cash.end~rs|subj,data=data.new)
    cs1 <- corARMA(value=c(0.9),p=1,form=~rs|subj)
    cs1 <- Initialize(cs1, data = newdata.new)
    corMatrix(cs1)

gls1=gls(log(cash.end+1)~factor(rs)+nogs+nols+ret+factor(poc)+posh+posl+negh
+negl,data=newdata.new,na.action=na.omit)

gls2=gls(log(cash.end+1)~factor(rs)+nogs+nols+ret+factor(poc)+posh+posl+negh
+negl,data=newdata.new,na.action=na.omit,corr=cs1)

And the session info is:

R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] nlme_3.1-87

[1] grid_2.6.2     lattice_0.17-4