[R] Coordinate systems for geostatistics in R

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Fri Aug 22 15:30:55 CEST 2008

imicola schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I read somewhere that when carrying out geostatistical analysis in R you
> should not use latitude and longitude...can anyone expand on this a little
> for me, and what would be the best coordinate system to use?
>
> I have my data in a geographic coordinate system, WGS84, decimal
> degrees....is this the wrong format for such analyses?
>
> I have also converted my data in the UTM projection and so have it in
> metres....(ranging from 480,000 to 550,000 E and 170,000 to 230,000 N).
>
> If I was to use the UTM coordinates, should I be using the actual
> coordinates in metres, or should I convert this into an arbitrary coordinate
> system (i.e. from 0 - 1) somehow?
>
> I have noticed that running an analysis on the data gives different results
> depending on which type of system you use, so I want to make sure I have the
> correct system.  I should also probably note that I am a geostatistical
> novice!
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

I use the gstat package for geostatistics. For doing the analysis I
don't think it is necessary to convert to UTM. But maybe just do it to
be on the safe side. If you use the spatial objects provided by the
sp-package (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/sp/vignettes/sp.pdf)
you transform your data to other projections using the spTransform package.

Questions regarding geostatistics and spatial data will result in more
answers on the r-sig-geo list.

cheers,
Paul

--