[R] Help on competing risk package cmprsk with time dependent covariate

Arthur Allignol arthur.allignol at fdm.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Aug 22 11:53:42 CEST 2008

Hello,

Something i don't understand
in your question.
Is treatment a time-dependent covariate?
That is, do patients receive the treatment
at the beginning of the study or later?

cmprsk cannot handle time-dependent covariates.

But if treatment is a baseline covariate,
but has a time-varying effect (i.e. does the subdistribution hazard
ratio varies with time?), your solution
to assess that is weird, because you will transform
your baseline covariate into a time-dependent one,
thus considering all the patients to receive no treatment
the first year. For sure, the treatment wont have any
effect for the first year.
To assess a time-varying effect on competing risks,
i would either follow the cmprsk documentation, including
an interaction with functions of time, or use the comp.risk
function in the timereg package, which fits more flexible
models for the cumulative incidence functions.

Best regards,
Arthur Allignol