[R] Null and Alternate hypothesis for Significance test

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Fri Aug 22 05:02:13 CEST 2008

The K-S test has Ho: dist(A) = dist(B) and Ha: dist(A) <> dist(B).
Rejecting Ho means that maintaining dist(A) does not differ in any
way from dist(B) is untenable, because of the low P-value encountered.

If you wish to test a hypothesis, you must be able to calculate the
probability of seeing a difference as large or larger as found using
the distributions assumed in formulating Ho. Otherwise you will not
be able to calculate a P-value and conduct the test.

Apparently you are interested proving that dist(A) = dist(B). There
are two ways of doing this:

1. Test Ho: dist(A)=dist(B) vs. Ha: dist(A)<>dist(B), and calculate
the power associated with the test. Logically, you will need a power
= 0.95 to give the beta = 0.05 you need for the level of reverse
significance you are looking for. This will be difficult to do
without quantifying what you mean by difference.

2. Test Ho: dist(A) <> dist(B) vs. Ha: dist(A) = dist(B), but you
will need to structure what you mean by "different" so tightly that
you can construct a set of simple tests that you can get null
probability distributions from. I suggest you read up on the topic of
"equivalence testing", when two one-sided tests are used to prove
"equivalence" within a specified size of difference in means.

You need to think long and hard about what you are trying to do, and
why you are doing it. Why are you doing this test? Are you really
concerned about "any" difference? Or do you simply wish to test the
relative locations of medians or some other quantile? Can you assume
a particular form of the probability distributions for A and B? Are
you concerned with a monotonic dominance? Etc.

If you can pin down what you mean by "different", you might be able
to find the test you need, or construct it.

If you've got a ton of data, the simple solution is to do a K-S test,
and show the power >= 0.95 for your size of "difference", if you can
quantify it precisely.

Along the lines of George Box's oft-quoted "All models are wrong, but
some are useful", the traditional viewpoint on testing is as follows:
We want to be able to hang onto the assumption that Ho is true,
because it is the simplest theory to work with, and therefore is
parsimonious and convenient. However, naive inspection indicates that
there is some type of difference visible. So we conduct a test of Ho
to see if the difference is real (i.e., "significant"). For small
scale experiments, such as statisticians usually run across, getting
a significant test at the 0.05 level typically means a fairly
material difference, not a minor one. If the test is significant,
life gets complicated, because we must deal with the reality of the
difference. If the test is not significant, we hold onto our
presumption that Ho is true (even though it may not really be),
because we know that the random error is large enough to obscure the
size of the difference present anyway.

When we have very large datasets, this logic breaks down, because now
we have enough power to detect very small differences, and
significance in the test of Ho is a foregone conclusion. Now the size
of the difference is the most critical issue. If it's small, it won't
be material, if it's large, we can't ignore it. But now we need
subject-matter expertise in lieu of statistical tradition.

This sloppiness in test logic is why most statisticians try to avoid
hypothesis testing. Instead, it is more fruitful to quantify what you
mean precisely by "difference", and then estimate that difference and
get a 95% confidence interval. You then go directly to subject-matter
knowledge and deal with the materiality of the size of the
difference. This is better science.