[R] Null and Alternate hypothesis for Significance test

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 02:40:02 CEST 2008

Hi Nitin,

I believe that you can not have null hypothesis to be that A and B come from different distributions.
Asymptotically (as both sample sizes go to infinity) KS test has power 1, i.e. it will reject H0:A=B for any case where A and B have different distributions.
To work with a finite sample you must be more specific, i.e. your null hypothesis must be not that A and B just have different distributions but must be more specific, i.e that their means are different by at least something or that certain distance between their distributions is bigger than something, etc. and such hypotheses can be tested (and rejected).