[R] GAM-binomial logit link

Monica Pisica pisicandru at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 21 22:09:08 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am not sure it is the best to use a binomial distribution for a continuous bounded variable. A beta distribution would be more appropriate, although I don't know how to define one for the gam() function. On the other hand beta distribution is closely linked to the gamma distribution so maybe you can use it to define a beta family for the gam() function.

Some info about beta distribution: http://www.stat.purdue.edu/~jrnolan/portfolio/the_big_ten/beta.pdf

Also, I am not very sure how you did a gam using binomial family without having your response data converted in 0 and 1. Didn't you get a warning saying that:
Warning messages:
1: In eval(expr, envir, enclos) ... : non-integer #successes in a binomial glm!

Maybe you can contact the author of the mgcv package. I am curious to see his response.

Sorry I cannot help much more,

Monica

Message: 96