[R] How to solve this problem ?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Aug 21 18:40:05 CEST 2008

No, a higher p-value does not mean the variances are more likely to be 0, this is a common misconception.  If the variances are equal (the null hypothesis is true), then for an accurate test the p-value will follow a uniform(0,1) distribution, so p-values of 0.01, 0.049, 0.051, 0.5, 0.99, and 1 are all equally likely to be seen.

Under the frequentist philosophy, the null is either true or not; there is no talking about the likelihood of it being true.

Under the Bayesian philosophy you can talk about probabilities or likelihoods of the variances being equal, but you need additional information, not just a frequentist p-value.

Imagine a simple case that our null hypothesis is that a coin is a 2-headed coin, we flip the coin once and it comes up heads.  The frequentist p-value in this case is 1, what we have seen is perfectly consistent with the null hypothesis; but would you say based on that bit of data that it is guarenteed to be a 2-headed coin?

You may get more information by looking at a confidence interval of the ratio of the variances or some other measure than from a specific test.  Also ask yourself what the costs are for type I and type II errors on the variance test, you may decide that the best approach is to just assume one way or the other, rather than doing the test (and if you test the variances, then do another test and which test is based on the results of the variance test, then you should really take that into account in your final conclusions).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center