[R] problem merging two data sets ( one with a header and one without)

kayj kjaja27 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 16:59:27 CEST 2008

I have two set of data, Data1 and Data2 . Data1 has a header and Data2 does
not.  I would like to merge the two data sets after removing some columns
from data2 .

I am having a problem merging so I had to write and read final data and
specify the “header=F” so the merge can be done by”V1”. Is there a way to
avoid this step. The problem is when I do cbind the FinalData has different
column names

Data1<-read.table("data1.txt", sep='\t', header=F, stringsAsFactors=F)

Data2<-read.table("data2.txt", sep='\t', header=T, stringsAsFactors=F)

P1<-cbind(Data2[,2])
P2<-cbind(Data2[,5:30])
FinalData<-cbind(P1,P2)
write.table(FinalData ,file="FinalData.txt", sep='\t', quote=F, col.names=F,
row.names=F)

Data3<-read.table("FinalData.txt", sep='\t', header=F, stringsAsFactors=F)
m<-merge(Data1,Data3, by="V1")