[R] Problems with PostScript Encoding

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 21:52:39 CEST 2008

Please read the posting guide and supply the information asked for and the
minimal reproducible example asked for.

I suspect the issue is how you selected 'alpha', but another issue is if
you mean the mathematical symbol alpha or the Greek letter alpha, for the
solution is different in the two cases.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, FScottDahlgren wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I suspect my problem is not new: I am having difficulty getting an alpha
> character to print in a PostScript file made by R graphics (in my legend).
> At first, I figured out how to actually get the character on the screen;
> however, when I saved the graphic to a PostScript file the alpha character
> was replaced by "..".
>

> Obviously, something is not working when encoding.  I've tried to change the
> encoding using ps.options; however, no matter what I try R encodes the file
> using ISOLatin1Encoding.  I'm not even certain that changing the encoding
> type would solve my problem.  I really do not want to resort to using
> another file format, as the resulting images are inferior.  Is there
> something I'm missing here?

Rather a lot ... see the above.