[R] Writing Rcmdr Plugins

Irina Ursachi irina.ursachi at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Wed Aug 20 18:02:44 CEST 2008

Dear all,

I am trying to write a plugin for the RCommander and having troubles
understanding how to actually do that. I have read Mr. Fox's tutorial
about writing Rcmdr plugins and though.... it seems to me that some
steps are missing.  I would like to know, whether there are some
Commands which generate a plugin package out of a given library. Or do
we just have to attach the .First.lib function and the menus.txt data to
the library? Out of the RcmdrPlugin.TeachingDemos example I could see,
that one of the differences between the plugin and the library, is the
fact that the plugin package also contains the "etc" subdirectory... so
I suppose my plugin package should contain one too, right?
The way I was trying to build my plugin package (and it didn't work )
was: I installed Rcmdr, the latest version locally, in a folder named
"Rlib". There is where I also installed my library and trying to use the
"require" command to load it into R Commander. What I don't understand,
is how to build the RcmdrPlugin.*?
I would really appreciate, if somebody could help me with that, or maybe
just recommend me a tutorial.

Best regards,
Irina Ursachi.