[R] matrix row product and cumulative product

Jeff Laake Jeff.Laake at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 18 18:43:06 CEST 2008

Thanks for the tips on inline, jit and Reduce.  The latter was exactly
what I wanted although the loop
is still the fastest for the simple product (accumulate=TRUE for
reduce).  With regards to Moshe's comment,
I was just surprised by the timing difference.  I tend to use apply
without giving it much thought. After profiling the code
it became apparent that a loop was better in this case.  I was just
surprised that a loop was still as good
when the columns were 10 times the rows.

I'm very intrigued by the inline package but couldn't find any
documentation on the compiler I need with
a Windows machine to make it work.  Any hints would be very much
appreciated especially in regards to
FORTRAN which was my first language some 35 years ago.  I have MS
FORTRAN 90 although I've not touched
it for over 6 years thanks to the developers of R.

Thanks much for the help.  --jeff

Elapsed times from system.time.  see code below

	Columns 	10 	100 	1000 	10000 	100000

	Rows 	1000000 	100000 	10000 	1000 	100
cumprod 	Loop 	1.0 	1.0 	1.3 	1.2 	3.0

	Apply 	27.3 	3.4 	1.8 	1.2 	1.4

	Reduce 	0.5 	0.7 	0.7 	0.9 	3.2
prod 	Loop 	0.3 	0.3 	0.4 	0.4 	0.9

	Apply 	30.0 	2.7 	0.7 	0.6 	0.8

	Reduce 	0.6 	0.6 	0.8 	1.0 	4.7

N=10000000
xmat=matrix(runif(N),ncol=10)
system.time(cumprod.matrix(xmat))
system.time(t(apply(xmat,1,cumprod)))
system.time(Reduce("*",as.data.frame(xmat),accumulate=FALSE))
system.time(prod.matrix(xmat))
system.time(apply(xmat,1,prod))
system.time(Reduce("*",as.data.frame(xmat),accumulate=TRUE))

xmat=matrix(runif(N),ncol=100)
system.time(cumprod.matrix(xmat))
system.time(t(apply(xmat,1,cumprod)))
system.time(Reduce("*",as.data.frame(xmat),accumulate=FALSE))
system.time(prod.matrix(xmat))
system.time(apply(xmat,1,prod))
system.time(Reduce("*",as.data.frame(xmat),accumulate=TRUE))

xmat=matrix(runif(N),ncol=1000)
system.time(cumprod.matrix(xmat))
system.time(t(apply(xmat,1,cumprod)))
system.time(Reduce("*",as.data.frame(xmat),accumulate=FALSE))
system.time(prod.matrix(xmat))
system.time(apply(xmat,1,prod))
system.time(Reduce("*",as.data.frame(xmat),accumulate=TRUE))

xmat=matrix(runif(N),ncol=10000)
system.time(cumprod.matrix(xmat))
system.time(t(apply(xmat,1,cumprod)))
system.time(Reduce("*",as.data.frame(xmat),accumulate=FALSE))
system.time(prod.matrix(xmat))
system.time(apply(xmat,1,prod))
system.time(Reduce("*",as.data.frame(xmat),accumulate=TRUE))

xmat=matrix(runif(N),ncol=100000)