[R] Saving environment object

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 15 18:08:10 CEST 2008

Having been told that this was a particular very large environment, Luke's
comments in serialize.c wouild seem to apply:

    The output format for dotted pairs writes the ATTRIB value first
    rather than last.  This allows CDR's to be processed by iterative
    tail calls to avoid recursion stack overflows when processing long
    lists.  The writing code does take advantage of this, but the
    reading code does not.  It hasn't been a big issue so far--the only
    case where it has come up is in saving a large unhashed environment
    where saving succeeds but loading fails because the PROTECT stack
    overflows.  With the ability to create hashed environments at the
    user level this is likely to be even less of an issue now.  But if
    we do need to deal with it we can do so without a change in the
    serialization format--just rewrite ReadItem to pass the place to
    store the CDR it reads. (It's a bit of a pain to do, that is why it
    is being deferred until it is clearly needed.)

So I think the moral is to hash large environments, and increasing
--max-ppsize should enable this one to be read in.