[R] Opening a web browser from R?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 15 16:42:05 CEST 2008

Thanks to everyone who replied to me, both on and off-list.

Indeed, searching for "url" alone finds 'browseURL' and the very
interesting 'shell.exec'... I must have had a "fuzzy moment" because I
did not see it when I first looked, but yes, there they are!

So, apologies for asking something that was so obvious... but somehow
I missed it the first time.
I'm off to get more coffee...

Thank you!

Jose

Quoting Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>:

> If this is Windows, see shell.exec.  On any platform, see browseURL.
> Does help.search("url") not get you there?
>
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if there's a way in R to open a web browser (such
>> as Internet Explorer, or Firefox or whatever).
>> I'm doing some analyses that have associated urls, and it would be
>> nice to have the ability to directly open the relevant page from
>> within R.
>> I was looking at the help for 'url' and I can see I can probably
>> access the information I need and display it in my own way, but can
>>  I somehow just open the given url with my web browser of choice?
>>
>> many thanks for any help,
>>
>> Jose
>>

>> --
>> Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
>> The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374
>> Institute for Cell & Molecular Biology        Fax:   +44 (0)131 6507360
>> Swann Building, Mayfield Road
>> University of Edinburgh
>> Edinburgh EH9 3JR
>> UK
>>
>> --

> --

Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374
Institute for Cell & Molecular Biology        Fax:   +44 (0)131 6507360
Swann Building, Mayfield Road
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh EH9 3JR
UK

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.