[R] map("state" ...) Is the USA cracking up?

John P. Burkett burkett at uri.edu
Fri Aug 15 16:21:13 CEST 2008

Running R version 2.6.1 under Linux, I'm trying to use the maps and
mapdata packages and the state database to produce a thematic map of the
USA.  My problem is that cracks (white spaces) appear between some
states--e.g. between Colorado and Utah and between Michigan and Indiana.
The resulting visual impression is that the country is breaking up.
This occurs in all the projections I have tried: albers, mercator,
sinusoidal.  An example of a command producing this effect is the following:
map("state", regions=names48, projection="albers", par=c(36, 53),
fill=T, col=rgb(red, green, blue, maxColorValue=255))
Suggests for filling the cracks would be very welcome.
-John

--
John P. Burkett
Department of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics

phone (401) 874-9195