[R] Simple (?) subset problem

Farley, Robert FarleyR at metro.net
Fri Aug 15 00:55:38 CEST 2008

BINGO!

> str(SurveyData$direction_)
 Factor w/ 2 levels "EASTBOUND
",..: 1 1 1 1 2 2 1 1 2 1 ...
> levels(SurveyData$direction_)
[1] "EASTBOUND                                         " "WESTBOUND
"

Was my mistake in how I read the data?

SurveyData <- read.spss("C:/Data/R/orange_delivery.sav",
use.value.labels=TRUE, max.value.labels=Inf, to.data.frame=TRUE)

That brings up 2 more questions:

How do I "trim" the factor names? {or read them correctly}

How do I write to a list the names of factors? {I have another factor
with ~15 "levels" and I'm a REALLY poor typist}

Thanks!

Robert Farley
Metro
www.Metro.net