[R] rgl/compiz problem

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Thu Aug 14 01:42:36 CEST 2008

My laptop has an nVidia card. Maybe that's why it works?

Simon.

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 13:17 +0000, Ben Bolker wrote:
> Barry Rowlingson <b.rowlingson <at> lancaster.ac.uk> writes:
>

> > I have just encountered the problem with rgl where plot3d figures
> > don't interact with the mouse. My plots zoom in and out with the mouse
> > wheel but the mouse buttons do nothing. I can't rotate the plot.
> >
> > This has been mentioned and discussed here and in other lists before,
> > and the solution is to turn off Ubuntu's fancy graphics.  Back in
> > March, Ben Bolker said:
> >
> > """
> > unfortunately rgl and compiz/etc. both try to use
> > the same OpenGL interface, so you can't use both at
> > the same time.
> > """
> >
> > This has echoes of when TCP/IP was in its infancy back in the days of
> > DOS, and only one program could access the network interface at a time
> > (until TCP/IP software got its act together). Is OpenGL really in the
> > same position now? Or is Compiz being "greedy" in some sense? Surely
> > two OpenGL applications can run at the same time? Or is it because rgl
> > is running 'within' another OpenGL window already, so there's some
> > nesting problem going on?
> >
> >  Google Earth works fine, and I think that uses OpenGL. Anyone had any
> > ideas since March?
> >
> > I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 and R 2.7.1
> >
> > Barry
>
>   Unfortunately, an apparently knowledgeable compiz person
> said:
>
> This is a limitation of DRI, DRI2 should fix this, and should hopefully be in
> most drivers by Xorg 7.5(maybe 7.6), nvidia has there on implementation, that's
> why it works on it
>
> http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=8462
>
>   And poking around,
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYzNw
>
> "sometime in 2009" is the closest I could get to finding
> an expected date when this would be available ...
>
>   Ben Bolker

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqsblomb
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.