[R] which alternative tests instead of AIC/BIC for choosingmodels

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Wed Aug 13 22:22:22 CEST 2008

your model 3 is the unrestricted model and your models 1 and 2 are
restricted models. you can test model 1 and 2 against model 3 using the
anova function, e.g. anova(model2,model3), which, for the case of OLS
estimation, are compared with an F-test. If the test is insignificant, the
simpler model should be preferred (and, of course, if the test were
significant for the more parsimonious model). but if the variable is
theoretically important (e.g. a theoretically important control), then it
should be included regardless of its significance in the estimation for your
specific data.

best,
Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus