[R] ignoring zeros or converting to NA

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 18:15:10 CEST 2008

The help page on binary operators (see ?"==") confirms that binary
representation of fractional representation is not catered for and
points to all.equal as a more suitable test method for those cases.

Steve E

>>> Thomas Lumley <tlumley at u.washington.edu> 13/08/2008 16:47 >>>

Integers (up to a fairly high limit) are represented exactly, as are
fractions whose denominator is a power of two (again up to a fairly high
limit), so x==0 is fine in that sense.

If x is computed by floating point operations you do have to worry
whether these are exact, eg, with
   x<-seq(-1,1,length=7)
it is not clear that the fourth element will be exactly zero.

     -thomas

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Roland Rau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since many suggestions are following the form of
> x[x==0] (or similar)
> I would like to ask if this is really recommended?
> What I have learned (the hard way) is that one should not test for
equality of
> floating point numbers (which is the default for R's numeric values,
right?)
> since the binary representation of these (decimal) floating point
numbers is
> not necessarily exact (with the classic example of decimal 0.1).
> Is it okay in this case for the value zero where all binary elements
are zero?
> Or does R somehow recognize that it is an integer?
>
> Just some questions out of curiosity.
>
> Thank you,
> Roland
>

> rcoder wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a matrix that has a combination of zeros and NAs. When I
perform
>> certain calculations on the matrix, the zeros generate "Inf" values.
Is