[R] rgl/compiz problem

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Aug 13 15:17:16 CEST 2008

Barry Rowlingson <b.rowlingson <at> lancaster.ac.uk> writes:

> I have just encountered the problem with rgl where plot3d figures
> don't interact with the mouse. My plots zoom in and out with the mouse
> wheel but the mouse buttons do nothing. I can't rotate the plot.
> This has been mentioned and discussed here and in other lists before,
> and the solution is to turn off Ubuntu's fancy graphics.  Back in
> March, Ben Bolker said:
> """
> unfortunately rgl and compiz/etc. both try to use
> the same OpenGL interface, so you can't use both at
> the same time.
> """
> This has echoes of when TCP/IP was in its infancy back in the days of
> DOS, and only one program could access the network interface at a time
> (until TCP/IP software got its act together). Is OpenGL really in the
> same position now? Or is Compiz being "greedy" in some sense? Surely
> two OpenGL applications can run at the same time? Or is it because rgl
> is running 'within' another OpenGL window already, so there's some
> nesting problem going on?
>  Google Earth works fine, and I think that uses OpenGL. Anyone had any
> ideas since March?
> I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 and R 2.7.1
> Barry

  Unfortunately, an apparently knowledgeable compiz person

This is a limitation of DRI, DRI2 should fix this, and should hopefully be in
most drivers by Xorg 7.5(maybe 7.6), nvidia has there on implementation, that's
why it works on it

  And poking around,

"sometime in 2009" is the closest I could get to finding
an expected date when this would be available ...

  Ben Bolker