[R] Lattice wireframe: How to avoid drawing lines around polygons when using shade=TRUE

Oliver M. Haynold inquiries at haynold.com
Wed Aug 13 06:18:37 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 16:40 -0700, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> Does the rendering improve if you unset the "smooth line art" option
> in Acrobat's settings?

Yes, it does! Thanks.

There still is a problem, though, in that the charts so generated won't
display and print well for users with the default settings on their
readers.

> > The most likely reason for the problem I can think of is that the
> > triangles generated by lattice don't overlap but just border each other.
> > This might cause some renderers to leave a little space between them. If
> > this explanation is correct, a solution would be to have lattice, or
> > specifically wireframePanelCalculations, plot the triangles with a tiny
> > bit of overlap.
>
> I don't think that's going to happen.

I agree that the radical solution of forced overlap wouldn't be pretty.
I still wonder if there's something one could do to fix the problem.
Perhaps a hairline around each triangle (I think there's a PDF command
to do outline and fill in one stroke so it wouldn't necessarily produce
larger files) in the color of that triangle?

	Oliver