[R] tilde on a spanish keyboard?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 12 21:13:22 CEST 2008

Since as long as I can remember, on Windows there is something called
"Alt [Key Numeric] Codes", which allows you to enter many symbols that
are not directly accessible via a single key, cf.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_codes

For lists of Alt codes, see for instance

  http://www.usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/

You find the code for 'tilde' at:

  http://www.usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/punctuation-alt-codes.php

For instance, to enter a 'tilde', press 'Alt' at the same time as your
type '1', '2', '6' on the *numeric keypad* on your keyboard, then
release 'Alt'.

Another examples, is Alt + '6', '5', which generates upper case 'A'.

Note that it has to be on the numeric keypad (often to the right of
the keyboard), the "regular" keys 1 to 0 on the top will not do.  If
you have a laptop without a numeric keypad, you typically have the
option via a "Fn key" + "NmLk" (or similar) to turn part of the
keyboard into a numeric keypad.

Disclaimer: I guess, depending on you locale (language settings) some
keycodes might come out differently, but I am quite sure that all code
between 0-127 will work all over the world.

My $.02

Henrik