[R] tilde on a spanish keyboard?

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Tue Aug 12 18:32:32 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 14:11 +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Michael R. Head wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 07:15 -0400, Martin Henry H. Stevens wrote:
> >> Thanks Henrique. We need to use the tilde in formula statements as in,
> >> lm(y ~ x)
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > Does windows still let you hold down the right alt-key and type ascii
> > character codes on the number pad?
>
> At least on my machine, only the Alt (left, not AltGr on the right) works.
> I believe that in some US keyboard layouts AltGr is missing and there are
> two Alt keys.

> The uses of AltGr in Microsoft keyboard layouts can be found at
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP052590631033.aspx

Cool. This isn't what I was referring to, though.

You are right that standard US keyboards do not have an AltGr key (I've
never seen such a keyboard in the US, only in Europe and possibly in
Canada). On DOS for many years (and I believe this carries through with
Windows) on a US keyboard, you could hold the right Alt key down and
type in the decimal value of the ASCII code on the numeric keypad for
whatever character you wished. I don't know if this was/is possible with
a non-US keyboard.

The AltGr key does seem much more handy for entering unkeyed characters.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/