[R] ANOVA help

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 12 11:58:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Gareth Campbell wrote:

> Hmm, I have my elements (as in chemical elements) as columns and my samples
> as rows.  This is the normal way round for all my other analyses.  I think I
> figured it out...  I have 6 groups, all of about 10-12 samples and each with
> 31 elements.  So for each group there are many more elements than samples
> and it makes the analysis impossible due to the problems of the singular
> covariance matrix, if I've got that right.
> Is that the problem?

If this is a MANOVA with 31 responses (elements) then the problem is that
those responses are linearly dependent after subtracting group means (and
quite possibly before).  With 86 samples this is not normal (MANOVA is
using a common covariance matrix for each group, not one for each group).

I do wonder what your aim is: this seems to be using MANOVA to do LDA.