[R] Simple lme/lmer random effects questions

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 09:33:37 CEST 2008

Hi Brandon,

>> ...is it sufficient to leave the values as they are or should I generate
>> unique names for all
>> combinations of sleeve number and temperature, using something like
>> > data$sleeve.in.temp <- factor(with(data, temp:sleeve)[drop=TRUE])

You might be luckier posting this on

You need to make a unique identifier for each of your five sets of sleeves
(or you need to nest sleeve in temp) if you wish to take account of that
structure (temp/sleeve) as a random effect. I could be mistaken, but I think
there are subtle differences between ~ 1|temp/sleeve and ~
1|data$sleeve.in.temp designs.

>> confused on how to actually set up the random effects term for the
>> models. Given my experimental setup, using the lme syntax...

The difference between (1) random = ~ 1|sleeve, ... and (2) random = ~
1+temp|sleeve is that the first will give a random intercept for each level
of sleeve, but the slope is fixed to be the same as their is no random term
for slope. In the second specification there is a random term for slope, viz
temp, so both intercepts and slopes can --- and probably will --- vary.

## To get some idea of what's being done, look at the following example.

## random intercepts, parallel slopes
mod1 <- lme(distance ~ age, Orthodont, random = ~ 1 | Subject)
## random intercepts, separate slopes
mod2 <- lme(distance ~ age, Orthodont, random = ~ age | Subject)

plot(augPred(mod1, primary=~age))  ## parallel slopes
plot(augPred(mod2, primary=~age))  ## separate slopes

HTH, Mark.