[R] Prediction confidence intervals for a Poisson GLM

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 18:32:01 CEST 2008

Confidence intervals for what?  For a Poisson glm() you can predict the
mean response or the linear predictor, and they are not the same (unlike a
linear model).

I suggest you predict the linear predictor (the default), use the s.e.s to
for a confidence interval and then if desired transform (exp in your case,
family(object)$linkinv() in general.).  The code would be very similar to
predict.lm, and indeed if you study predict.glm you will see how to
call predict.lm to do this.

The family should not affect how you do it: poisson vs quasipoisson merely
affects the estimates of the s.e.s.