[R] How to repress the annoying complains from X window system

dusa.adrian dusa.adrian at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 01:06:33 CEST 2008

Dear Marc,

Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 11:25 -0400, Hao Liu wrote:
>> Dear All:
>>
>> I am running some GUI functions in linux environment, they runs fine,
>> however I constantly get this kind of message in R console:
>>
>> Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>>
>> Is there a way to repress it? Or am I doing something wrong here.. it
>> does not interfere with the running of fucntion though.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Hao
>
> Upgrade your version of R.
>
> You have not provided sufficient details, but if I had to guess, you are
> either running RCmdr or using other tcl/tk based widgets.
>
> If correct, the error message that you are seeing was fixed back in R
> 2.4.0:
>
> o	The X11() device no longer produces (apparently spurious)
> 	'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)' warnings when run from
> 	Rcmdr.

I'm digging on a past message, where you said that message was fixed in R
2.4.0.
However, I'm using R 2.7.1 (under Kubuntu Hardy Heron, with tcl and tk
version 8.4) and still experience the same message with Rcmdr.
For reproduction, this happens when using (before loading Rcmdr):
options(Rcmdr=list(console.output=TRUE)).

In addition to this error message, I also get sometimes this one (repeated
17 times at once):

Warning in structure(.External("dotTclObjv", objv, PACKAGE = "tcltk"), class
= "tclObj") :
  X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

> R.version
               _
platform       i486-pc-linux-gnu
arch           i486
os             linux-gnu
system         i486, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          7.1
year           2008
month          06
day            23
svn rev        45970
language       R
version.string R version 2.7.1 (2008-06-23)

Thanks in advance for any hint,
Adrian