[R] installing R packages in a networked lab?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 9 06:53:09 CEST 2008

Michael,

It is very likely that a network install will not work.  A security patch
ca 2 years ago to Windows XP (etc) disallowed loading .chm files from a
network, and you can stop loading .dll files too (and Vista does now by
default AFAIR).

What we do is to install R locally (via the .msi installer that can be
made: see the R-admin manual) and have other packages on a network drive
*with* the chtml directory deleted*.  That way students get CHM help on
the basic packages and text help on those loaded from the network.

However, you want to 'freeze' an image (or your sysadmins do).  I would
build a custom installer including the packages you want and hand it to
them to install locally.  The R-admin manual tells you how to do this: it
may well be daunting but I remember you work with John Fox and he has done
this (and will probably be willing to advise you).

Final comment: I suggest you do this with R-patched.  It looks like we
will not have an R 2.7.2, but R-patched is now in a releasable state,
precisely because people will be wanting to install something for the
coming academic year (North Hemisphere).