[R] Tcl\tk not supported on this system

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Fri Aug 8 21:05:32 CEST 2008

on 08/08/2008 01:25 PM Michael Gormley wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Michael Gormley
> <michael.gormley at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your prompt responses.  I will take a look at the R Installation
>> and Administration manual.  Where can I obtain the tcl-devel and tk-devel
>> files?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

The answer may be a bit tricky and I will defer to others who may still
be running RHEL 3, as newer releases are now available and provide
differing functionality.

RHEL 3 was 'pre-yum' as far as I can see and back then (circa 2003) the
RH 'up2date' package manager was in use. New packages and updates were
made available via the Red Hat Network, which is a paid subscription
based service. This was around the time of RH9, as I recall, which used
a similar process until Fedora was born.

Presuming that you have 'root' access on this machine, you would use
something like:

   up2date tcl-devel tck-devel

as root from a console.

I don't know that the RPMS are available outside of official RH repos,
since RHEL is predicated upon paid support services and licensing.
That's how RH makes their money from selling open source products.

If you don't have root access to this machine or are unfamiliar with
some of these details, you will need to get a SysAdmin to assist you
with this process.

Another option, which may be sticky, is to use CentOS based RPMS. CentOS
is supposedly binary compatible with RHEL. From a search, CentOS 3.x
would be the equivalent of RHEL 3. I would however verify all of that
with someone who knows with a greater level of certainty before
proceeding down that path.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz